EFFECT OF EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT AND CONTINUANCE COMMITMENT ON EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE

Dedi Hadian

Abstract


This study aims to determine the effect of employee engagement and continuance commitment on employee performance. To find out the magnitude of the effect of employee engagement and continuance commitment on employee performance, the researchers used a survey approach to employees who work in two government agencies in Bandung. The number of respondents involved in the study were 71 employees. Researchers used path analysis to analyze research data. The results showed that employee engagement has a direct effect of 36.3%, the indirect effect through continuance commitment is 11.1%, so that the total effect is 47.4%. Continuance commitment has a direct effect of 13.5%, an indirect effect through its relationship with employee engagement of 11.1%, so that the total effect is 24.6%. And the total influence of employee engagement and continuance commitment on employee performance is 72% with other factors of 28%. The implications of the study indicate that the presence of employee engagement and continuance commitment will have an impact on increasing employee performance.


Full Text:

PDF

References


Aguinis, H., & Burgi-Tian, J. (2021). Measuring performance during crises and beyond: The Performance Promoter Score. Business Horizons, 64(1), 149-160.

Allen, N. J., & Meyer, J. P. (1996). Affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization: An examination of construct validity. Journal of vocational behavior, 49(3), 252-276.

Alosani, M. S., Al-Dhaafri, H. S., & Abdulla, A. A. (2020). Investigating the role of HRM practices on service innovation: empirical evidence from UAE government agencies. Management Research Review, 44(1), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1108/MRR-03-2020-0141

Basit, A. A. (2019). Examining how respectful engagement affects task performance and affective organizational commitment: The role of job engagement. Personnel Review, 48(3), 644-658. https://doi.org/10.1108/PR-02-2018-0050

Cesário, F., & Chambel, M. J. (2017). Linking organizational commitment and work engagement to employee performance. Knowledge and Process Management, 24(2), 152-158.

Daraba, D., Wirawan, H., Salam, R., & Faisal, M. (2021). Working from home during the corona pandemic: Investigating the role of authentic leadership, psychological capital, and gender on employee performance. Cogent Business & Management, 8(1), 1885573.

Diamantidis, A. D., & Chatzoglou, P. (2019). Factors affecting employee performance: an empirical approach. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 68(1), 171-193. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-01-2018-0012

Falco, E., & Kleinhans, R. (2018). Beyond technology: Identifying local government challenges for using digital platforms for citizen engagement. International Journal of Information Management, 40, 17-20.

Grego-Planer, D. (2019). The relationship between organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behaviors in the public and private sectors. Sustainability, 11(22), 6395.

He, W., Zhang, Z. J., & Li, W. (2021). Information technology solutions, challenges, and suggestions for tackling the COVID-19 pandemic. International journal of information management, 57, 102287.

Jabłoński, A. (2018). Public Service Design and Public Trust: Conceptualizing the Sustainability. In Managing Public Trust (pp. 153-171). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.

Joshi, P. R., & Islam, S. (2018). E-government maturity model for sustainable E-government services from the perspective of developing countries. Sustainability, 10(6), 1882.

Lambert, E. G., Qureshi, H., Frank, J., Klahm, C., & Smith, B. (2018). Job stress, job involvement, job satisfaction, and organizational commitment and their associations with job burnout among Indian police officers: A research note. Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 33(2), 85-99.

Lolitha, C. V., & Johnson, J. (2015, January). Employee engagement and organisational commitment among it sector employees in Kerala. In Twelfth AIMS International Conference on Management (pp. 1602-1607).

Mackay, M. M., Allen, J. A., & Landis, R. S. (2017). Investigating the incremental validity of employee engagement in the prediction of employee effectiveness: A meta-analytic path analysis. Human Resource Management Review, 27(1), 108-120.

Mergel, I., Gong, Y., & Bertot, J. (2018). Agile government: Systematic literature review and future research. Government Information Quarterly, 35(2), 291-298.

Nazir, O., & Islam, J. U. (2017). Enhancing organizational commitment and employee performance through employee engagement: An empirical check. South Asian Journal of Business Studies, 6(1), 98-114. https://doi.org/10.1108/SAJBS-04-2016-0036

Neves, T., Graveto, J., Rodrigues, V., Marôco, J., & Parreira, P. (2018). Organizational commitment, psychometric qualities and invariance of the Meyer and Allen Questionnaire for Portuguese Nurses. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, 26, 1-11.

Nica, E., Potcovaru, A. M., & Mirică, C. O. (2017). Job loss, unemployment, and perceived job insecurity: their effects on individuals'health and well-being. Psychosociological Issues in Human Resource Management, 5(2), 193-198.

Schaufeli, W. B., Salanova, M., Gonzalez-Romá, V., & Bakker, A. B. (2002). The measurement of engagement and burnout: A confirmative analytic approach. Journal of Happiness Studies, 3, 71–92. doi: 10.1023/A:1015630930326

Sidharta, I. (2018). Validation on Utrecht Work Engagement Scale: Multisample and Multi Sectors Analysis. Kontigensi: Jurnal Ilmiah Manajemen, 6(2), 49-58.

Sun, L., & Bunchapattanasakda, C. (2019). Employee engagement: A literature review. International Journal of Human Resource Studies, 9(1), 63-80.

Turner, M., Prasojo, E., & Sumarwono, R. (2022). The challenge of reforming big bureaucracy in Indonesia. Policy Studies, 43(2), 333-351.

Yongxing, G., Hongfei, D., Baoguo, X., & Lei, M. (2017). Work engagement and job performance: the moderating role of perceived organizational support. Anales de Psicología/Annals of Psychology, 33(3), 708-713.




DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.56447/jcb.v16i1.269

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2022 Dedi Hadian

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.